The Recession: A Time For Reflection




I remember well when the recession hit. It was October of 2008. At the time I was running a home business quilting quilts for customers on my long-arm quilting machine. The common routine was for a customer to pick up a finished quilt and then leave a new quilt to be quilted. Starting in the month of October, my customers would pick up their quilt but say they will bring me another one "soon". This pattern continued through December when I looked into the closet and saw no new quilts to be quilted. The recession was in full swing. I joined the unemployed.



But, having endured the recession now for a full two years, I can see some benefits. Really? you might ask. Well yes, I can. The recession for us brought an end to the rat race of buying, buying buying and not enjoying what we already had. Do we really need all that "stuff" to be happy? I have decided no, we don't.



As an example: This painting was taken from a photo at my son's wedding. The whole wedding probably cost about $300.00. The dress was bought on sale. The flowers were borrowed. The reception was held at my in-laws front lawn with a pot luck lunch and my daughter-in-laws music group providing the fun music for an old-fashioned square dance. It was LOADS of fun and very little expense.



So I hope you take some time to reflect on what really makes you happy in this short life we have here on this planet. Is it really that new car? Or is it time spent with family and friends just hanging out and enjoying each other's company?



God has been good to give us this time of reflection.

Comments

  1. Wonderful post Karla! Family & Friends are the blessings I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment!

Popular Posts