Don't Let Depression Suck You Down That Long Dark Tunnel


o.k. so I was already susceptible to depression before I lost my kids. Depression for most people is a temporary condition that lasts only a few short hours or a few short days after a sad event. This is normal. Depression that lasts for weeks or months at a time is not normal and may require some intervention. Even after a traumatic loss like the loss of a child, there should be some movement toward healing over time. Even if that movement comes like ocean waves - forward and then back, forward and then back. If you have lost a child, be prepared for a long road to feeling "normal" again. This may take a few years - yes years!!

Depression that gives you thoughts of suicide needs immediate medical attention. Don't delay! Get help!

Here are some tips that have helped me deal with depression and may help you feel better and may help shorten your depression. I will add more in future posts.

1. Don't isolate yourself!! I know this is hard - but don't. Get out and be around people. You will feel better. Even if it is just lunch with a friend.

2. Go for a 20 minute walk every day. Being outside in sunlight will help generate serotonin which will help you feel better. Even if it is a cloudy day it will help. The exercise doesn't hurt either.

3.  If you believe you suffer from depression, get the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross.  This book was so instrumental for me in finding a way to overcome depression.  It is a natural approach using diet.  I highly, highly recommend this book!!!

I will add more tips in my next blog.

Hang in there and comment if you want.

If you are feeling so depressed that you are having suicidal thoughts, GET HELP IMMEDIATELY!!

Comments

Popular Posts