Saturday, October 27, 2012

Chunky Pear and Thoughts on Creativitiy

"Chunky Pear"


5 X 5 Oil on Hardboard

Several days ago I posted a video lecture about creativity done by John Cleese.  In it John describes how being creative is just playing.  I thought about that while I was painting this pear.  I told myself to just have fun and to go big or go home.  And it was fun!

I find that I am torn between my love for dramatic realistic paintings and ones that are just fun and rich with expressive paintstrokes.  And I tend to purchase paintings in the same vein.  Some are light and playful and some more dramatic and realistic.

Here is the same pear I painted a few days ago.

So do any of you face the same conundrum?

I guess it has something to do with personality.  I don't think anybody would describe my personality as playful.  But I did find it FUN to paint today's pear in a playful way.

Maybe that is something I just need to allow myself to do more often....

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Karla

This painting would go very nicely in a floater frame.  I purchased this one from King of Frame.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, have been challenging myself to paint more expressively and with more freedom. To "listen to the paint", and let it lead you.
    I think we all tend to tighten up and "color within the lines". The freer style reveals more of the artist, I believe.
    The first one's great, but I love your new pear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your pears, Karla. And I totally understand how you feel, because I struggle with the same issue. My favorite paintings are actually fall somewhere in the middle. Does that make any sense?

    I'm putting pears on my grocery list. You've inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dean and Darla for your perspectives!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment!