Sunday, May 22, 2011

Value Challenge

Peony with water can
Option #1
Option #2
Option #3


The first picture at the top is what I submitted to Carol Marine's Value Challenge at Daily PaintWorks.  I played around with the picture with my photo program.   I was interested in seeing how different backgrounds would work.  I guess that is the "value" (pun intended!) of the challenge.  Work out some of the composition issues before you dive in to the painting.

I have been really interested in the experimenting Qiang Huang has been doing.  Here is an example of one of his paintings.

  I really like the color choices, especially in his leaves and the brushwork he has done.

Of my three value options here, I am leaning toward #3. 

What do you think? I would really appreciate your opinion.

4 comments:

  1. I think you submitted the right one because there is a greater contrast of values.Well done by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Azra, I really value your input. Hmmmm I'm going to have to re-think this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both 2 and 3. But then the whole value thing generally eludes me. Lovely work though, Karla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sherry! I'm trying to grasp the value thing too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment!