What I'm Learning From Mini's

Swan Lake
2.5" x 3.5"
$39.00
I have been having fun this week painting minis. I had told myself that painting tiny paintings would probably never be for me, but I have surprised myself. I love it! And I'm learning some things about my painting style.
First of all, these are fun because there is so little "canvas" to cover they go very quickly. I can paint two or three in one day.
Second, they require me to get so close that I really have to pay attention to small details. What looks like paint blobs on a mini close-up looks just right from a short distance away. I think this is something that I have struggled with on my larger paintings. I was painting what looked good from my vantage point while sitting and working on the painting, NOT what looks good from several feet away - a common viewing distance. Hence I am not getting enough contrast in my paintings for the most part.
Third, brush strokes just naturally show up on a mini. So much fun to see. I think my conservative personality will not let me use that much paint on a larger painting. Minis use so little paint I don't mind at all. It is fun to see all that juicy paint.
Fourth, minis don't seem to intimidate me like larger paintings can do. I am not afraid to start painting without a sketch in place and I am more willing to try something that I wasn't sure I could pull off. Very freeing!
Finally, if you sell prints of your paintings on websites such as "Fine Art America", your minis can easily become a 16 X 20 print.
So, if you haven't tried painting a mini why not give it a try. I think I might be hooked.









Comments

  1. Lovely little one, Karla. I've done a few myself and know that I should do more. It's just the right thing when you are pressed for time and really want to paint every day. Wishing you a prosperous, healthy and inspirational year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment!

Popular Posts