Grandchild

J J
8 X 10
Oil on Hardboard






Whew!  This was a doosey but it is done.  Yea!  I'm quite happy with how this came out.  As I'm looking at the picture on the computer I think I would like to darken his shirt a little but other than that I'm happy.

If you are interested, you can keep reading and see the progression of this painting.

Here is te reference photo with a great deal of glare on it.  But I think you can get the picture.  Picture get it?

The drawing in charcoal.




And we begin to paint




I took a photo at each break that I took.




It was really tough to paint green skin and hair, but that is what the picture dictated.






Eyes are always a challenge.  I like how JJ's turned out, but in the photo reference he is not looking at you.




All done.  I kept track of my time.  This 8 X 10 took me about 7 hours all together.  I love doing portraits.  I will be looking for the next one to do.








Pre and Post palattes.  I pre-mixed all of the color chains.  The biggest challenge I had with this painting was finding a Titanium white that didn't give everything a pink tint.  Windsor and Newton was the best one in my paint box.  I ordered Rembrant as that was suggested.  Hopefully it will stay true.

Thanks for reading and I love getting your comments.

Karla

Comments

  1. Very impressive! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful portrait and great to see the progression. I agree with your other posted comments, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave to paint a portrait in a day! Well done! Interesting how palette's get by the end of the painting time. Thanks you made it 'real'. and thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness, Karla! This is so wonderful!!! I absolutely love seeing your progress photos, too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is really good! I enjoyed seeing your process also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant!! Karla this is superb!! The skin-tones and brushwork are amazing.Thanks for showing your process ,it was fascinating to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for your support and encouagement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Karla! This is a superb portrait, you must be so pleased with such a great result.
    I love the fact that you included progressive photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment!

Popular Posts