Blog Find of the Week



Tried to paint today but it just wasn't happening.  After the first attempt which looked like a Kindergartener painted it I scraped it off and tried again.  The next effort was better, more like a 3rd grader.  Time to scrape again.  But I am proud that I didn't let it get me down.  Some days it just doesn't happen.  So I will post a new Blog Find of the Week instead of a painting.

This week's blog find of the week is Rachel Shirley Painting specifically her blog post on making a viewfinder.  Carol Marine talks about using one on her blog.  So since it was a simple thing to make I thought I would give it a try.   What I didn't expect was what a difference it made having one!!  I had no idea how handy this little diddy could be for composing a painting.  I have not had a lot of experience using it yet, but I can tell you I will be using it a lot from here on out.  I used the homemade viewfinder to compose my last painting Ready for Spring.  The composition I chose using the viewfinder was so much more interesting than just centering the birdhouse on the canvas.

Doing a quick search on-line I found an on-line store that sells viewfinders at reasonable prices.  Check out  Artwork Essentials.  They have two sizes.  The large one is only ten bucks plus five bucks for shipping.  Mine is on the way.

Now if they could only find a way to get the 3-D effect of our old View-Master toy when we are trying to determine depth in a photo reference!

Comments

  1. Wow, a real ViewMaster.....the only thing older is a Stereopticon. Not that I had one personally now. I was wondering if a double exposed photo would look 3D if wearing 3D glasses. I do still have mine from the movie "Shark Boy and Lava Girl." The Lava Girl glasses were so cool. Unfortunately I don't have any double exposed photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I did some more research on-line and think I have found something that uses two photos of the same subject to get a 3-D effect. I'll write a post later letting you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment!

Popular Posts